Game Administrator: For Paypal issues please contact a Purple Moderator.
Join Date: Apr 07, 2006
Rep Power: 24
Search User Guide
This search is optimized to be used with JavaScipt, CSS and Images turned on. It can work without them but will not work as well. It it tested to run in Firefox and IE 8, it will run in other browsers but may not look anywhere near correct.
- Using This Search
- Status Selecting Any will select from all horses while selecting the other options will limit your search to only horses For Sale, For Auction, or For Breeding.
- Age The three age boxes allow you to select a range or an exact age. Selecting an impossible age (for example greater then 7 but less then 5, or greater then 6 but equal to 5) will return no result.
- Basic and Advanced Sorting Basic Sort will order your results by the most common sorting options. Advanced Sort will order the results by more complex and specialized options.
- Key Filters
- Gender All genders default to checked, the search will look for all genders you check. Unchecking a gender will remove it from the search results.
- Horse Name You can search by names that contain or do not contain your phrase by choosing the like or not like options. Your search will be broken up where ever you place a space. Searching for Ram and Bo will give you any horse that has phrase Ram any where in the name and has the frame Bo any where in the name. It will also include the phrase Ram Bo but will not be limited to just that.
- Color Name Type in part or all of a color name, including base colors and/or patterns. All of your words will be included or excluded based on your Like or Not Like selection. The search parameters do not need to be in the correct order, or even be complete words. Searching Pal will yield all variations of Palaminos and Apaloosas. Searching Bl Pal will result in all variations of Blue Roan or Black Apaloosas.
- Please see further information on the color name field below.
- Status The search will include checked options and exclude unchecked options. Unchecking Bred This Year will only return horses who have produced no live cover foals, or carried no surrogate foals this season. Unchecking Lined will only return foundation horses, unchecking Foundation will only return lined horses. Checking Deceased will only return the archived results of horses who have died with surviving offspring.
- Parents Searching with the Sire ID or Dam Id fields will only return living foals. Checking Deceased will also show archived offspring.
- Ownership Barn Id's can be found in parenthesis next to the barn's name. Horses in the Primary Barn are located in Barn Id 0.
- Searching For Colors
- User Knowledge While a user with limited horse genetic knowledge can get successful results using only the Color Name field, those who wish to utilize this search to its fullest will need a working understanding of equine genetics. Information on Equine Genetics can be found on the Kinetocore Forums genetic section.
- Getting Results This search is optimized to look for any genetic result using a combination of the Color Name field and the Base Color and Pattern tabs. Using these together you can narrow in on the exact genes you want. The simplist way to find the color horse you want is to type a color into the Color Name field. Typing Black into the field and selecting Like will only return horses who have the word Black in the name. Similarly typing Roan Buckskin Dun will return horses who have the words Roan Buckskin and Dun in the name in any order. You also do not need to use complete words, searching for Rab will look for any horse with the phrase Rab (as in rabicano) while searching Bl would return Black and Blue horse. Since all horses who have been color tested will have names that describe most if not all of their genetics the Color Name field will serve for most of your searching needs.
- Refining Your Results If you instead need exact genes the Base Color and Pattern tabs hold the Allele check boxes which offers more search control. The search will include all selected alleles in the result. By unchecking a box you will exclude that allele from the results. For example unchecking the E box will only show you horses who are are ee. While unchecking the e box instead will return only EE horses. The real strength of this search comes from the combination of the Color Name field and the Allele check boxes. Using these together you can search for heterozygous and homozygous versions of each gene. To get the maximum benefit a certain amount of knowledge and savvy is required. This is an art that can be established with a good knowledge of equine genetics but will take practice and playing around to master. As such members are encouraged to play with the search and see what sort of results they can generate. Use the Color Name field and the Allele check boxes together to create in-depth searches. A few examples follow, however true understanding of the system will require simply experimenting with the options.
- Black Or Blue Roan White2 horses without Creme In the example the user is looking for horses who are Black or Blue Roan, carry dominate White 2, and are not smokey black or smokey blue roan. To accomplish this very complex search the user must decide on a few parameters first. The search can be made very general, by searching in the Color Name field for Bl White. This will limit our search to only Black or Blue who have Dominate White. Unchecking the Kitw box, and the Ccr box will remove any white one and creme carriers. You could search for only EE Black or Blue Roan Horses that also had White 2 by unchecking the e allele checkbox. Alternatively this same search could also be accomplished by unchecking the e, A, Ccr, Cprl, D, G, Ch, Z, Kitto and Kitw alleles. This would result in a search that only returned EE Black or Blue Roan Horses that also had White 2 and no creme as well. As this example shows there are many different ways to search for essentially same thing, by modifying the alleles that are searched for and the Color Name parameters a vast array of results can be generated ranging from the general to the highly specific.
- Limitations Searching for colors is limited to those horses who have been Gene Tested only. Horses with Unknown color will not show up in the search results when using the Color Name field or using the Genetic check boxes. It is also difficult to search for heterozygous base color genes that are hidden. This unfortunately is a limitation in the database design and will not be circumventable until a later date.
Praise the sun! \O/